Moroccan taco, really?
Because I love fusion food, I discovered it when I moved to London and I think it’s the best! Fusion food has the ability to make you travel around the world in a simple bite. It has never disappointed me.
Because I love Mexican food! It’s one of my favourite cuisines. Also, I think Moroccan food and Mexican food have a lot in common; for instance they use similar spices (cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper.) and both cuisines use coriander extensively. Have you check my tomato and cucumber salad recipe, isn’t it very much like pico de gallo?
Lastly, because it tastes amazing! I made ras el hanout roasted sweet potatoes and a harissa and cashew butter salsa!
The cashew butter salsa idea is mainly influenced by the current vegan movement happening around the world. Far from converting to veganism, I love this trend because I've learned so much about healthy foods and also because it allowed me to discover nut butters (did you know that you can make ice cream with nut butters instead of dairy?). So yes, I guess I should thank the vegan community because this salsa is so tasty, I want to make a huge jar of it and splatter it on all my foods!
It’s so good, I can’t even find the words to describe it!
Sweet Potato and Harissa Cashew Butter Salsa Taco
Roasted ras el hanout sweet potatoes
- 500 gr sweet potatoes, cut in pieces (2 cm length - 1/2 cm thick)
- 2 onions, sliced (400 gr)
- 200 ml vegetable or beef stock
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 teaspoon salt, ore more to taste
Cashew butter and harissa salsa
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
Grilled steak (optional)
- 300 gr beef steak, cooked to your liking and sliced
Taco bread for 6
• Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F)
• In a roasting tin, place all the roasted ras el hanout sweet potatoes ingredients, combine them all together and transfer in the oven for 35 minutes or until fully cooked. Give it a good stir halfway through cooking.
• Meanwhile prepare the salsa. Combine all the ingredients and stir until smooth. Use a food processor if you have one.
• To assemble your tacos, warm up the bread, top with the roasted sweet potatoes, tomato and cucumber salad, a slice of steak (if desired) and chopped coriander. Serve with lime quarters (to squeeze on top of the taco) and guacamole (if desired).
• For a vegan version, discard the grilled steak form the recipe
• You can find cashew butter in many stores. However, here are some great instructions to make your own cashew butter at home.