Who doesn't love beetroot? And who would say no to beetroot + avocado?
Given that only a few of you will answer no to both these questions, I decided to make a Moroccan beetroot salad and add some chopped avocado to it! It's one of these perfect recipe that will help you make a smooth transition into the beginning of the back to school/autumn-winter season. It's fresh and light but yet comforting and filling. I shouldn’t even mention how easy it is to prepare!
This recipe is my mum's recipe. According to her it is the only way we make a Moroccan beetroot salad! To be honest, whether or nor it is "the only way" is "debatable" but I will have to agree with her for one reason: it is seriously delicious! So why have it any other way? It's very cumin-y and tangy and has the right amount of herbs and shallots to spice things up!
On another note, I am writing live from Ibiza, Spain. Playa D'en Bossa to be precise. I wish I could live stream how cool and pretty Ibiza is guys! We are leaving in a few days and all I can think about is where I am going to have my last croquetas, paella and gambas pil pil?
p.s: grill some sourdough bread, top with this salad, sprinkle some feta, enjoy!!
Beetroot Salad with Chopped Avocado
- 6 medium sized cooked and peeled beetroots
- 2 avocados
- 2 small shallots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley and more for garnish, if desired.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• Roughly chop the beetroots and the avocados into small pieces (2 cm x 2 cm). Place in a large bowl.
• In a small bowl, transfer the rest of the ingredients to make the dressing. Mix them together until smooth.
• Cover the beetroots and the avocados with the dressing and toss together.
• Place in the fridge until ready to serve. Garnish with more parsley if desired.
• Directions to cook the beetroots: wash the beetroots and place in a pan of warm water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cover with a lid for 25 minutes until tender. Once cooked, drain over cold water and once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them. Using rubber gloves to peel them will prevent your fingers from staining red.
• I suggest having it as a side or on its own. You can also do this: grill some sourdough bread, top it with this salad and a sprinkle of feta!