The streets of London are starting to look all pretty and cute again! As spring approaches, beautiful flowers are blossoming on the trees. Yay!
I don’t know about you, but this weather puts me in such a good mood! And in my book, good mood always calls for good food! So let’s all have a ras el hanout pulled beef sandwich to celebrate!
I have been thinking for a while about doing a “Moroccan” version of the infamous pulled beef sandwich, just because it is so easy to prepare and I love anything with pulled beef: sandwiches, tacos, gyozas, burritos, etc.
The slow cooked shredded beef is soft, tender and juicy: sooo satisfying! Ras el hanout adds a bit of smokiness and fragrance to the meat and takes the whole pulled beef experience to another level (or country!?).
Once the meat is ready, stuff it in a warm bun filled with harissa mayonnaise and Moroccan salad. Take a bite and be prepared because all you'll be thinking about then is your next bite!
Ras El Hanout Pulled beef sandwich
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 kg slow cooking beef cut such as brisket, chuck or rump
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 500 ml chicken stock
For assembling and garnish
• Preheat oven to 150 C (300 F).
• In a small bowl mix together the garlic, ras el hanout, lemon zest, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
• Rub the spice mixture over the beef and place the onions and the beef in a large oven proof dish.
• Pour the chicken stock over the beef. Cover the beef with foil (or a lid if possible) and place in the warm oven for 6 hours or until the beef is tender and easily shredded with a fork. Check the beef every 1h30-2 hours and add a cup of water if there is no more liquid inside the dish.
• Once cooked, remove the beef and shred using a fork. If you are left with a very liquid sauce, transfer it in a small skillet and reduce it for 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the sauce with the shredded beef.
• Assemble your sandwich and enjoy!