You guys are all familiar with shakshuka right? Well, let me introduce you to taktouka ! Shakshuka and taktouka both sound funny and taste amazingly delicious but they are two different dishes! In Morocco, taktouka refers to a very common salad/dip (such as zaalouk, bakoula, etc.) made mainly of very simple ingredients: green bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil.
Taktouka is literally one of my favourite Moroccan salad! I feel bad for saying that because I say that for sooo many dishes but really, this salad is such a treat! On top of that, it is very healthy, satisfying and so easy to prepare. The grilled bell peppers add a delicate smokiness to the salad that is perfectly balanced by the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
I love eating it the Moroccan way by dipping some bread into the taktouka but it is also great in a sandwich, as a spread or as a side dish next to a grilled meat or fish.
Depending on where you live, the tomatoes might be less or more sweet, if your tomatoes are quite naturally sweet (the way they are in Morocco!) discard the caster sugar from the recipe.
Taktouka – Green Peppers and Tomatoes Moroccan Salad
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 large sweet green peppers such as bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
- 4 tablespoons mixture of fresh chopped parsley and coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
• Preheat your grill or chargrilled pan to high.
• Place the green peppers on your grill and turn occasionally every 3 to 4 minutes until each side is scorched (lightly burned) and tender.
• Remove the green peppers from the grill and set aside to cool.
• Meanwhile, peel, deseed, and roughly chop the tomatoes into 1, 5 cm (1 inch) pieces.
• Once the green peppers have reached room temperature, peel and deseed and chop them into 1,5 cm (1 inch) pieces.
• In a large casserole or a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat and add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, spices, herbs, salt and sugar. Cover with a lid for 10 minutes until the tomatoes have softened. Stir occasionally.
• Uncover, add the chopped green peppers and mix all the ingredients together. Leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes until all the liquids evaporate.
• Enjoy warm or cold, as a side or a filling in a tasty sandwich!